Insects4Food was founded by Glenn Kvassay, a passionate Biologist who has over 13 years experience training, breeding and researching insects production systems commercially or for the hobbyist. Glenn has a strong focus of improving the efficiency of the edible insect industry through research, education, Innovation and Partnerships.
We aim to provide an information sharing platform for the edible insect industry through:
- Comprehensive training resources to breed insects (books, videos, consultation).
- Directory site to connect clients, breeders, wholesalers and retailers
- Resources to help people people find information about edible insects
- Developing Insect breeding products
- Working in partnership with other breeders and innovators.
Our Back Ground
We started breeding insects for wildlife rescue which let us to breed insects to Zoos, Wildlife Parks, Reptile Carers, Wildlife Rescue Carers, Pet Stores and the General Public. This led us to develop our first website WildlifeHub.com (soon to be replaced with BreedingInsects.com) which trains people how to breed insects. As time went on, inquiries into insects for human consumption grew and we started to breed insects to feed fish in our aquaponic systems and businesses.
Currently our research is focused on:
- Breeding insects as a sustainable food source for human consumption (direct consumption or for aquaponics)
- Sustainable food sources for feeding insects and aquaponics (aquatic and terrestrial plants)
- Develop new methods to heat insect and aquaponic facilities using solar storage systems over a 24 hour period (without batteries).
- Trialing new production methods for private and commercial production of insects that require much less maintenance than conventional methods.
Our training and consultancy resources are used by some of the largest and smallest insect breeders (for edible insects and pet trade) around the world to improve the efficiency of their operations or to start new businesses. Working with hundreds of insect breeders around the world, has given us a unique understanding of the issues breeders face, and we are happy to share our information.
- Bench marking our proprietary cricket breeding system which we hope to sell as flat pack around the world. This new cricket breeding system is very productive and low maintenance making cricket breeding easy for both hobbyist and commercial breeders. And more importantly we hope they will help feed people from undeveloped countries or more generally.
- Working with a Cambodian family to set up a large insect farm to feed thousands of chickens and for human consumption.
- Working with farmers to value add their grains into a much more lucrative product. This will help provide them with valuable income during drought and water shortages.
- Working with many insect breeders (hobbyist or commercial) to benchmark their commercial production which can be used to breed insects for human consumption (directly or for pellet production of fish/chickens etc).
- Many others!!
Insects4Food works closely with the following partners to achieve sustainable solutions to the edible insect industry (more examples provided above):
Adam is the founder of Flo Gardens an Aquaponic Business that undertakes research and education into sustainable food for aquaponics.
Adam is an innovator in his industry, trailing, researching and developing new technologies or methods. He has developed a new low maintenance aquaponic flat pack system.